Page 88 of 199 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990919298138188 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,760 of 3961

Thread: The Official Thread of the Augustana Vikings

Contribute to D2

Default Re: The Official Thread of the Augustana Vikings

Quote Originally Posted by Augieholic View Post
    Phenomenal topic, I'm only upset I didn't come up with this myself. Big week for MrAugustana-first this, then ESPN the Mag uses Marvel comic characters on its NBA preview issue. Congrats buddy.

My rankings as we stand right now on October 22, 2010 in the year of our Lord.

4.) Nick "so hot right now" Olson- the forgotten superstar. If he had just one or two more players anywhere near the 3 above him he would've have gotten some of the team success he deserved. Instead he put up great numbers on mostly poor to mediocre teams, could play inside and outside and also was known for a sneaky mean streak. If you slightly nudged an Augustana player after a loose or jump ball, Ols would be in your grill, yep yep your grill.

Arguably my favorite thing to see happen. Even better was when you could see his frustration with certain opponents or individual players developing over the course of a game, and then one maybe-too-hard foul on a teammate and Ols looked like a rabid dog ready to take on the entire opposing team on his own. Inspiring, to say the least.

10.) Mike Klepatz- without a doubt the most colorful character in the last 6 years of Augustana basketball. He could commit the most obvious of fouls and still make you believe the official was out to get him. Contributed on the offensive end with an array of moves you will never see again, his ability to spin in shots off the glass will never be duplicated. Crowning moment was throwing a 70 foot strike that kicked off the Sh*ttown Stunner.

Also responsible for one of my all-time favorite plays (besides Klepatz-to-Krogman-to-Foster. As I'm sure Augieholic will remember the details, I'll simply toss out the part I distinctly remember... A (for some reason) hustling Klepatz chases after a loose ball and snags it right at the edge of the baseline near the Augieholic section. As Klepatz is falling backward out of bounds with the ball in his hand, you can tell he's looking to make the "throw it off my defender and hope it goes out of bounds" move. Time slows down, as Klepatz (who could throw a football 70 yards in the air as a backup quarterback for Augie), cocks his arm back. It was at that moment that every Augieholic (all of whom were about 8 feet away from this developing memory) began to realize something special was about to happen. Then, almost faster than the human eye could follow, Klepatz ROCKETS the ball at his defender's face. Not his foot, not his knee, but the face his mother once kissed goodnight. All we heard was the thick thud of the ball as it bounced off of his defender's face and into the 2nd, 3rd, or possibly even 4th row of Augieholics. The fan eruption was .3 seconds of semi-sick "ooohhh" followed by 5-10 seconds of cheering, laughter, and general giddiness rarely experienced during that era of Elmen Center basketball. The best part? It's possible Klepatz didn't even really need to do it, as he really wasn't falling out of bounds that forcefully. Regardless, I shall cherish that memory forever.
    Thoughts above, in navy (hopefully it's easier to read).

Where's Bill Gross in all of this discussion?

Quote Originally Posted by colt45 View Post
    Love this topic. I'll try and keep mine shorter and sweeter...and more accurater.

My rankings as of October 24, 2010

1.) Corey McIntosh - As with everyone else, I think this spot is just being kept warm for 3,428 himself, but C-Mac is the player that took this team from knocking on the door, to knocking the door down.

2.) Nick Olson - I'll forgive my compadres for ranking him so low due to the fact that they were not students of the game like I was during Nick's tenure. He probably is the most well-rounded player on the list. He consistently had to defend the toughest matchup as well as being asked to run the offense. He could play inside or outside, was an undrrated rebounder, and a silent, but skilled leader. Put his skill set on a team with the surrounding talent that we have now and he could have been #1.

3.) Dave Foster - Great shooter, got better as a defender, and Klepatz to Krogman to Foster AHHHHHHHHH was the moment this team went from happy to be here to contender.

4.) Cody Schilling - Two years in and I'm pretty sure we've got two pretty special years in front of us. Looking for a signature playoffs moment or a deep run to the Elite 8 and beyond and the top spot is his in 2 years.

5.) Eric Krogman- Knew how to use his body on both ends of the floor and had a pretty good inside-out game. Consistently produced results for several years.

6.) Jordan Dalton- Great pure point guard who led with his attitude and hard work on defense.

7.) Marques "Goose" Blank- My favorite player in Augustana history. And its not even close. A quiet guy on and off the floor, with a quiet style of play that had you looking at the box score after the game and wondering where his 12 points and 5 assists came from.

8.) James Borum - How in the world his name has not even been mentioned to this point is pure blasphemy. I loved watching TV with him in Granskou and loved even more his defense and pure point guard play. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure he has the Augie record for steals or assists or something like that. Also, was the most fair softball ump I ever had.

9.) Dave "Sioux Killer" Medema- He's the only reason we won a conference game my freshman year. That seems to be a fairly large contribution and one not to be forgotten by me ever. I don't know if I could have remained such a staunch basketball supporter if not for that lone conference win of the 04-05 season.

10.) I'm torn with this spot so I'm going to give it to the entire Thomas family. Two coaches (Gary and John) and two players (Ian and Elliott). I don't know much about John, but Gary gave us the foot stomp and jacket throw and Ian and Elliott both generally played beyond whatmost thought their skill set was. Ian was money from the corner, and Elliott consistently played crunch time minutes because he could play 3 positions and defend 4 as well as rebound better than anyone on the floor and shoot 90% freethrows. So mostly I'm giving it to Elliott, but wanted to include the entire family.

Just on the outside:
    Cam McCaffrey - He will be near the top, if not the top when its all said and done, but its only been 1 year and I only made one exception to my 1 year rule and that was for the obvious exception of C-Mac.
    Mike Klepatz - Dwight Freeney patterned his spin move after Mike, nuff said
    Tom VerDouw - Has an instructional series on how to take a charge
    Joey Ryan - If only he had been healthy, there was a ton of talent to take him to the top 10. Easily the best musician of them all.

That is the definitive list and like Mr. Augustana and Augieholic my knowledge is fairly limited before 04-05. I'm still waiting with bated breath for the Auggie Doggie list that will include players from the past 5 decades. Or probably RedMustache could compile a similar list being a 40 year alum and all.
    Good lists...like previously stated I think this year should shuffle the order up a little bit...i.e. up with Schilling and McCafferey's "power rankings"... a mention of Brennan Olsen (shot in the dark)?

Student Trainers:

1. Cole (The Man in Black) Fricke- His overall all-American good looks and general execution of taping ankles, filling water cups, and kissing pigs make him second to none.

Honorable mention: Drew Marquardt

4. Default Re: The Official Thread of the Augustana Vikings

Quote Originally Posted by augiebubz View Post
    Good lists...like previously stated I think this year should shuffle the order up a little bit...i.e. up with Schilling and McCafferey's "power rankings"... a mention of Brennan Olsen (shot in the dark)?

Student Trainers:

1. Cole (The Man in Black) Fricke- His overall all-American good looks and general execution of taping ankles, filling water cups, and kissing pigs make him second to none.

Honorable mention: Drew Marquardt
    Can't forget another key, while underrated, contributor:
    Zach "Attack" Wermers - Though he never kissed any pigs (debatable), he was always able to come through in the clutch by finding the right brace in the trainer's bag or even that last sip of water during the time out. A real PTPer if I ever saw one.

Quote Originally Posted by SquattyBod View Post
    Can't forget another key, while underrated, contributor:
    Zach "Attack" Wermers - Though he never kissed any pigs (debatable), he was always able to come through in the clutch by finding the right brace in the trainer's bag or even that last sip of water during the time out. A real PTPer if I ever saw one.
    OH MY GOSH! Forgetting about Zach Wermers in the top Augie trainers list is like forgetting to open your fly before you pee. Turrible on my part.

Alright, sorry...one of these days I'll write a serious post...my one last week might have been my first ever.

Any trainer that was in charge of Mike Klepatz's back over his 5 year tenure deserves recognition. I'd like to throw out Dan Miriovsky as one of the more overrated trainers...he had very little to do with the successes of 2006-2007. However Andy Boehnke deserves some credit here too.

Quote Originally Posted by AugieBlueJay View Post
    I'd like to throw out Dan Miriovsky as one of the more overrated trainers...he had very little to do with the successes of 2006-2007. However Andy Boehnke deserves some credit here too.
    I second both suggestions.

2.) Nick Olson - I'll forgive my compadres for ranking him so low due to the fact that they were not students of the game like I was during Nick's tenure. He probably is the most well-rounded player on the list. He consistently had to defend the toughest matchup as well as being asked to run the offense. He could play inside or outside, was an undrrated rebounder, and a silent, but skilled leader. Put his skill set on a team with the surrounding talent that we have now and he could have been #1.

8.) James Borum - How in the world his name has not even been mentioned to this point is pure blasphemy. I loved watching TV with him in Granskou and loved even more his defense and pure point guard play. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure he has the Augie record for steals or assists or something like that. Also, was the most fair softball ump I ever had.

That is the definitive list and like Mr. Augustana and Augieholic my knowledge is fairly limited before 04-05. I'm still waiting with bated breath for the Auggie Doggie list that will include players from the past 5 decades. Or probably RedMustache could compile a similar list being a 40 year alum and all.
    My man crush on Nick Olson is as big as the next guy's, I mean have you seen how symmetrical his face is? He could've been a model. Whenever I had to break a close tie in my book I went to one stat and one stat only-wins. Unfortunately Nick didn't have a lot of those.

Little disconcerting that I forgot JB, I think you left out perhaps the most amazing stat of them all-in intramural ball he could guard all 5 positions. I've seen shut down a 6'4 all-NCC golfer in the post with relative ease.

As far as Augie Doggie is concerned-has anyone talked/checked on him since Texas crushed Nebraska? We should probably put him in a safe house or with a family member because he's probably wanted for murder.

Quote Originally Posted by Augieholic View Post
    My man crush on Nick Olson is as big as the next guy's, I mean have you seen how symmetrical his face is? He could've been a model. Whenever I had to break a close tie in my book I went to one stat and one stat only-wins. Unfortunately Nick didn't have a lot of those.

Little disconcerting that I forgot JB, I think you left out perhaps the most amazing stat of them all-in intramural ball he could guard all 5 positions. I've seen shut down a 6'4 all-NCC golfer in the post with relative ease.

As far as Augie Doggie is concerned-has anyone talked/checked on him since Texas crushed Nebraska? We should probably put him in a safe house or with a family member because he's probably wanted for murder.
    His second best player was also Joey Ryan...and there was no post game to speak of except when provided by him. Also, my tie-breaker was obviously looks.

That same 6'4" NCC golfer put me on the floor the first time he posted me up. Not like I'm the poster boy of tough inside defense, but definitely impressive for JB. Needless to say I spent the remainder of that game D'ing up a certain 5'4" post player who torched me with his patented hook shot.

I have recently spoken with Auggie Doggie and he does appear to be alive and well although apparently not noticing that basketball season is nearly upon us. Once Nebraska loses to Mizzou this weekend he can put the football season to rest and join in on all the fun here.

His second best player was also Joey Ryan...and there was no post game to speak of except when provided by him. Also, my tie-breaker was obviously looks.

That same 6'4" NCC golfer put me on the floor the first time he posted me up. Not like I'm the poster boy of tough inside defense, but definitely impressive for JB. Needless to say I spent the remainder of that game D'ing up a certain 5'6" post player who torched me with his patented hook shot, fundamental passing and textbook footwork.

I have recently spoken with Auggie Doggie and he does appear to be alive and well although apparently not noticing that basketball season is nearly upon us. Once Nebraska loses to Mizzou this weekend he can put the football season to rest and join in on all the fun here.
    Fixed it a little bit. Also, he boxed out well. From what I can remember watching him, anyway.

Thanks everyone for your concern. I am biding my time and waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike with my usual candor, valuable insight, and that "rapist wit."
    The win over OSU eased my pain after the Texas debacle, and the only reason why I don't utterly dispise Texas is because of Mr. Freeze and our dear Texas Tom.
    Keep up the good work, fellas. I'll be posting with regularity soon.
    Fear the beard!!!

Tomorrow is our home (exhibition) opener vs. the Gusties of Gustavus Adolphus in beautiful St. Peter, MN. Usually known as a suburb on Mankato, St Peter really has stepped to the forefront of SW MN and SD travelers in the past year because they completely destroyed the best way to get to the Twin Cities. Completely obliterating their own downtown really endured them to me forever, forever, forever.

As far as the game goes I'd expect to see a a starting lineup of Hettermann, McCaffrey, Schilling, DeZeeuw, and either Brennan Olson or Leif Nomeland. The bench will consist of either Olson or Nomeland, Truex, Malashanko, Paterka, Thomforde, Trevor Hass, and Jason Pospichal. I want to see what the bench perimeter guys bring to the table as that's my biggest concern for this team currently. Should see an up-tempo attack out of the starters, as all of the probable starters are athletic and are a threat in the open court. The season to do more is upon us . . .whose ready?

13. Default Re: The Official Thread of the Augustana Vikings

No radio tonight? Come on Fylling, I need something to do instead of study.
    Last edited by SquattyBod; 11-01-2010 at 08:08 PM.

Great home opener for us exhibitionists at the Elmen last night. Lots of swarming defense, our star players got theirs, and most exciting of all we had another freshmen step up and lead all scorers.

Things/People that OVER-whelmed me:

-Trevor Hass: 23 points on 9-13 from the field in 19 highly effecient minutes. He's a more athletic version of Marques Blank in that he appears to always make the right read and never forces a shot. If he can be the 1998 Jake Reed to Cody and Cam's 1998 Randy Moss and Cris Carter we'll be set for the entire year.

-Leif Nomeland: didn't get the start at the 4 like I was anticipating but he wasn't afraid of the scene and took the ball to the hoop several times. Only grabbed two rebounds but he was always right around the ball. He has a few low post moves which is something we haven't had in a while.

-Halfcourt Defense: absolutely swarming, the guys were running around helping, showing, and scrambling. Forced 22 turnovers and really flustered the Gusties. I know this has been an emphasis in practice this fall so it's good to see it pay off.

Things/People that whelmed me:

-Cody Schilling: 21 points on 7-10 shooting in 21 minutes. Showed his usual repertoire of inside and outside moves and was in an absolutely riveting scoring contest with Cam in the 2nd half.

Cameron "McSituation" McCaffrey: 20 points on 8-10 shooting in 22 minutes. Started slow, for him, but really filled it up upon his 2nd stretch in the game. Would've like to see him drive to the hoop more, but his shooting touch is still second to none and with his quick release he's impossible to guard. Watching him and Cody battle for the points title this year will be downright scintillating at times. They were fighting like two homeless guys over a Thanksgiving turkey.

Derrick DeZeeuw: 4 points, 5 rebounds in 13 minutes. Was the inside rebounding force we needed in his limited playing time, and even showed a low post move for one of his baskets. If he does a little more than he gave us last year, I'll be exceedingly pleased.

Things/People that UNDER-whelmed me:

-Brennan Olson & Yuriy Malashanko: both playing their first games in the Viking blue & yellow and both shied away from the moment. Yuriy didn't attack the glass like I was expecting and Brennan looked over-matched from the get go. These guys are freshmen (red-shirt in Brennan's case) so I'll give them a pass, but we'll need them at least a couple of times this year so they'll need to grow up eventually.

-New Uniforms: great color scheme and design but they look like Mike Klepatz was used as the fitting model for everyone's jersey. EJ was the only one who remotely filled out his jersey. Both Cam and Cody were absolutely swimming in fabric. We need to wash these on hot a couple of times in order to get them back to normal. This has the potential to cripple our season before it even gets off the ground.

-Rebounding: Once again it appears our rebounding will need to be addressed throughout the year as we got out-rebounded by the Gusties. DeZeeuw was the only one who could be consistently relied upon to grab a board. Hopefully we mirror last year's progression in this category or else we could be a in a lot of trouble.

My favorite line from the write up of yesterday's game on goaugie.com: "Hass anchored the trio, scoring 23 points on 9 of 13 shooting from the field. Schilling and McCaffrey finished with 21 and 20 points, respectively."

I wonder how Cody and Cam feel about that.

The game within the game is something to watch for all season long. It would be nice to have a third scorer now that David Foster is gone. Hopefully, Hass will fit the build.

I watched the 2nd half on the interweb. I mostly agree with the over-whelmed, whelmed, and under-whelmed distinctions.

It cannot be stated emphatically enough how enormous everyone's uniform is. There were many moments where I was afraid Cam was going to run out of his shorts. They all look like they are trying out for New Kids on the Block or MC Hammer music videos circa 1990.

That being said, clearly the big winners of the night were Trevor Hass and defense, and losers were Freshmen not named Hass and rebounding. Some of the rebounding issues were because DD hardly played, but EJ, Leif, Truex, and Yuriy need to do a much better job on the glass.

Arizona in a couple days. I predict Augie by 15-20. And one wardrobe malfunction.
    Last edited by colt45; 11-02-2010 at 11:13 AM.

17. Default Re: The Official Thread of the Augustana Vikings

Quote Originally Posted by Augie Doggie View Post
    My favorite line from the write up of yesterday's game on goaugie.com: "Hass anchored the trio, scoring 23 points on 9 of 13 shooting from the field. Schilling and McCaffrey finished with 21 and 20 points, respectively."

I wonder how Cody and Cam feel about that.

The game within the game is something to watch for all season long. It would be nice to have a third scorer now that David Foster is gone. Hopefully, Hass will fit the build.
    I laughed at that too. Wonder if Texas Tom didn't have them do that on purpose?

Or, our sports information guys could have a generic write-up form that goes:

Anchored by (insert leading scorer here), the #(insert national ranking here) Augustana Vikings rolled over (insert opponent school and mascot). (Second and third leading scorer) also chipped in (number of points, respectively), respectively.

Ps. Sorry I missed you at the game on Saturday.

I've had some time to digest the enormousness of our new uniforms, even strapping on my Texas Tom mustache in order to get in his mindset, I've come up with a couple of explanations.

1.) He's sending a not so subtle message to our players to bulk up. We've never been a physical force in the league and it was our downfall last year in the Regional Championship game. The fact that EJ was the only one who remotely fit into his uniform was pretty telling. He's widely known as our best "lifter" so that should tell the other guys it's time to get swoll.

2.) He's trying to make us look faster. Clearly the gobs of excess fabric on our guys are going to flutter in the breeze while they glide up and down the court. Watching on film certain coaches (cough, cough Bigler Holquist cough) might think "wow I've never seen fabric melt of a player like that in transition we're going to have to play small all game". Thus playing right into Texas Tom's hands.

3.) Texas Tom is just being Texas Tom. His mind is a fantastical emporium of basketball tactics. He doesn't need a reason to do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by SquattyBod View Post
    I laughed at that too. Wonder if Texas Tom didn't have them do that on purpose?

Or, our sports information guys could have a generic write-up form that goes:

Anchored by (insert leading scorer here), the #(insert national ranking here) Augustana Vikings rolled over (insert opponent school and mascot). (Second and third leading scorer) also chipped in (number of points, respectively), respectively.

Ps. Sorry I missed you at the game on Saturday.
    No worries, Squatty. We witnessed Augustana history on Saturday, unlike a certain Augieholic I know.
    I am always quite underwhelmed when I read the sports desk's recaps. They are as bland as a hotdish at a church potluck. Mmmmm, I can smell that goulash already.

Beam me up, Squatty!

I heard him doing HS FB playoffs in Rapid City.